Red Devils take down Colts in OT

-A A +A
By Steve Jarboe

  In a re-match from the Kingdom of the Sun Tournament game won by the North Marion Colts, Thursday night Feb. 3, was a different game with a different outcome.
“I feel like our team gained some mental toughness tonight,” said Williston Head Coach Steve Faulkner following his teams 81-75 win in overtime over the 4A North Marion Colts.
“Those two missed free throws at the end of regulation time were really big” Faulkner said.
Faulkner was referring to the Colts going to the line with 2.1 seconds remaining in a game tied at 69-69. “Those misses were big for us or the game would have been over,” Faulkner said.
The Red Devils got off to a fast start in the first half from 3-point shooting by James Monroe and Deterion Ross. After Monroe sank his fourth 3-point basket of the first half, to give the Red Devils a 33-28 lead with under 4 seconds remaining in the first half, Markell Hawkins drained a 50 foot buzzer beater from half court to pull the Colts to a 33-31 score as the first half ended.
The third quarter saw the Colts feed off the big shot by Hawkins as the Colts ran out to a 57-52 lead as the third quarter ended.
The Red Devils came back in the fourth quarter and the game was tied at 69-69. The Red Devils took a final shot with 11.2 seconds on the game clock. The ball rolled around and around the rim before dropping off and into the hands of the Colts. The Colts pushed the ball down court and drew a foul with 2.1 seconds on the clock.
Most everyone sat stunned, thinking the game was over with the Colts at the free throw line for two shots. The packed house yelled, stomped their feet and the sound was deafening as both shots failed to fall in the basket for the Colts.
The buzzer sounded, sending the game to overtime tied at 69-69.
The four minute overtime period saw the lead change 3 times before the Red Devils took a four point lead as Tre Wilson dropped in a short jumper with 1:13 on the clock in the overtime period. The Colts pulled to within two points 77 -75 on a wide open lay up.
The Red Devils ran the clock to 30 seconds and made another basket for a 79-75 lead.
The colts turned the ball over as Ross stole the pass and pitched the ball up court to a wide open Monroe who dropped in a lay up for a 81-75 Red Devil lead. With under 7 seconds remaining the Colts dribbled the clock out. Markell Hawkins led the Colts in scoring with 21 points. For the Red Devils it was Deterion Ross with 22 points, James Monroe with 20 points, Tre Wilson with 17 points, and James Hunt and Jacques Edwards had 8 points each. The Red Devils will play Seven Rivers Friday night at home for Senior Night.