Red Devils fall to 2-2 in district; playoff hopes gone

-A A +A

Too much Vegas Harley

By Steve Jarboe

After starting out 2-0 in district play, the Williston Red Devils hopes for a runner up spot where soundly ended Friday night, Oct. 29 at Mount Dora.
Mount Dora junior quarterback Vegas Harley put on a show for the Hurricanes homecoming crowd, leading his team to a 41-27 win over the visiting Red Devils.
The Red Devils 14-0 first quarter lead was quickly erased in the second quarter as Harley scored on a nifty run from 20 yards out. On the Canes’ next possession Harley hit a wide open Trevor Harris for a touchdown pass tying the game at 14-14. Harley then scored again on a one yard run seconds before halftime, putting the Canes up 21-14 at the halftime break.
The Red Devils first touchdown came off a fumbled punt catch by the Canes. Two plays later DJ King ran the ball in for a two yard touchdown. Dillon Moody made the PAT putting the Red Devils up 7-0.
The Red Devils held the Canes to a three and out. Orvil Stone blocked the Canes punt attempt and Brandon Preston scooped up the ball and went to the end zone. Moody was again good with the PAT and the Red Devils had struck quickly for a 14-0 lead.
As the second quarter got underway, Harley ran the ball time after time on the Canes drive picking up fourth down first downs, and then scored again from the 8-yard line.
The Canes were holding a 28-14 lead when Red Devil Orvil Stone went down after a tackle with an unknown pelvis injury. Play was stopped for nearly 30 minutes as Stone was treated by paramedics before being taken to the hospital by ambulance.
The Red Devils mounted a comeback as Kalen Penny took a option pitch from King, broke two tackles and raced 45 yards for a Red Devil touchdown. The kick was wide right and the score stood at 28-20 with 3:30 remaining in the third quarter.
The Canes took the kick off and six plays later it was again Harley who scored the touchdown. The Red Devils blocked the PAT as the Canes pulled ahead 34-20.
The Red Devils took the ensuing kick off and with just under a minute remaining in the third quarter, King found Desmond Holmes for a short pass. Holmes broke three tackles by the sideline, stayed inbounds, and rambled 70 yards for a touchdown. Moody’s PAT made the score 34-27 as the third quarter ended.
Midway through the fourth and final quarter, Harley faked a run up the middle, ran wide and hit a wide open Marcus Brown in the end zone for a touchdown. The Canes were up 41-27. The Red Devils recovered a fumble with just over two minutes remaining in the game but, were unable to score again.
 With the Red Devils gathered on the field after the game Coach Baker told his team, “Gentlemen, we are now 4-4 and 2-2 in district play. We have two games left in our season, and it’s up to you how you want to finish. We can beat both teams left on our schedule, but they won’t give you anything. You will have to play hard for the wins.”    
The Red Devils play their last district game next week at Booster Stadium, as they host Newberry. This is homecoming night for the Red Devils. Game ­time is 7:30 p.m.