If it's December then I'm already done-in

-A A +A
By Carolyn Ten Broeck, Editor

It's only Dec. 5 and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Despite all my good intentions, time is getting away from me and there's no way to recoup what I've lost and no way to get ahead of what needs to be done.

It all started back in November – Veterans Day to be exact.

I drove to Columbus, Ga. to babysit granddaughter, Andi, while her mom did her thing as a coach at the state competitive cheerleading competition. Andi's dad, Spencer, my youngest child, came along.

At lunch that day, Ashley, Andi's mom, suggested that I accompany Spencer Dec. 8 to see A Christmas Carol at the Flat Rock Playhouse, North Carolina's State Theatre. Their tickets were already confirmed and first grade teacher, Ashley, couldn't go.

Loving theatre, Spencer and A Christmas Carol, I had no choice but to say yes. Plus it would give me a day after the show to play with Andi and Piper, my youngest granddaughter at 5 months.

After returning to Williston, I saw my work calendar and while it's usually overwhelming this time of the year, this time it was worse. 

I knew if I planned, then I could focus and finish all that needed to be done to permit this trip.

The first thing was to get my Christmas shopping finished early, so I could take it with me since I would not be able to be with my children Christmas Day.

I started online before Cyber Monday and knocked most of it out of the way.

There were still a few random things I needed that could only be gotten in Gainesville.

Last Wednesday, I took the afternoon off and set out to finish. All of it.


I found what I needed, waited in line 30 minutes to pay and as I signed my credit card acknowledgement, the computer went down. And stayed down. (It came back up four hours later.) The store offered to hold my purchases for three days. I was so discouraged, I pouted and came home.

Saturday morning I was there when the store opened at 8 a.m., I retrieved my purchases, shopped at one other store and made it home before noon.

Then the real work began: trips to town concerning the parade, a visit to my attic to gather decor, housework, back to town for the parade and ensuing festivities and then back home to start wrapping, sorting, packing, decorating, cleaning, baking, bow-making, pet sitting, car vacuuming, grocery shopping and clothes washing.

When I fell into bed at 11:30 Sunday night, there wasn't a muscle in my body that didn't ache.

After work today, there's still more that needs to be done – and it will, although at what cost, I'm not sure. 

I'm leaving Wednesday morning for a seven-hour trip. Spencer and I will leave his house Thursday morning for a three-hour trip to Flat Rock. We're going with a group and the day promises to be 14 hours long. Yawn.

When  I return Saturday evening, I plow right back in: baking, cleaning, wrapping and writing those Christmas cards to friends and relative who aren't tech savvy. 

What I really want to say right now is "Bah! Humbug!" but instead I'll close with Tiny Tim, "God bless us every one!" I need it.