WMS ends football season with big win

-A A +A
By Steve Jarboe

The Williston Middle School Red Devils traveled to Bronson Tuesday night Oct. 18, to end their 2011 football season. The weather and the Red Devils had something in common as the game got underway. The rain showers began to fall as the Red Devils took over the football after forcing the Eagles to punt. It was then Hardee time, as Red Devil Keith Hardee slipped around the end and raced 56 yards for a Red Devil touchdown. Hardee then slipped in to the end zone on the 2-point PAT lifting the Red Devils to a quick 8-0 lead. 

The Eagles then bagan to move the football on their best drive of the game. As the sky began to dry up, the Eagles pushed the ball to the Red Devil 12 yard line as the first quarter came to an end.

The rain began to fall again as the second quarter got started. 

The Eagles fumbled the football on their first play and the Red Devils recovered the football at their own 12 yard line. As the rain continued to make its appearance so did Hardee. On the first play Hardee tore around the left end and raced 88 yards untouched for his second touchdown on just three touches. Hardee again took the ball in for the 2-point PAT giving the Red Devils a 16-0 lead.The Red Devil defense led by Austin Langworthy, TJ Pitts, and Hunter Gamble forced another Eagles punt. The punter tried to run for the first down but was not successful. With just over four minutes left in the first half, TJ Pitts took the hand off and rambled 25 yards for another Red Devil touchdown. Hardee slipped in for the 2-point PAT, and the Red Devils were up by a 24-0 score.

The rain stopped and the first half was over.

Head Coach Greg Yancey began to move players around and insert non starters as he pulled the starters to the sideline. Hardee found Mason Burton for a 40 yard pass just before Hardee went to the sideline.

With a first down at the Eagles 20 yard line Pitts again ripped through the Eagles defense for a 20 yard touchdown. Pitts also ran in the 2-point PAT, as the Red Devils took a 32-0 lead. 

The Bronson Eagles went to the air on their next possession and Red Devil Jalen Days picked off the pass for an interception. The Red Devils gave up the football on downs and the Eagles continued to go to the air. 

The Red Devils AJ Albury rushed the passer causing a fumble and he pounced on the football for another Eagles turnover.

The rain was now almost a non factor but the field was very wet as the fourth and final quarter began.

Two sixth graders for both the Red Devils and the Eagles became the stars of the fourth and final quarter. Sixth grader Jalen Days ripped off a 45 yard run down to the Eagles 6 yard line on some nifty cut back running. It took the Red Devils four downs to score as the Eagles sixth grader Malcom Walker stuffed the runs for three downs before Days swept the left end for the touchdown.

On the 2-point PAT the Eagles’ Walker was not finished with his excellent defensive play. Walker hit the running back, stopping him cold at the line of scrimmage with a hard smashing tackle. The Red Devils held a 38-0 lead with just under 2 minutes remaining in the game.

 The Eagles took the kickoff and after three plays the game ended. The rain now started to fall again just a little harder than before.