On to the regional final

-A A +A
By Steve Jarboe

The Williston Varsity Baseball team crushed the Wildwood Wildcats 15-0 May 6 at the Devils Den.

Leading 8-0 after three complete innings of play, the Wildcats were held in check by Red Devil pitcher Trent Johnson.

Emptying their bench in the bottom of the fourth inning, the Red Devils exploded for seven runs on nine base hits to take the commanding 15-0 lead.

The Red Devils advance to the Regional Championship game to face either Taylor County or Union County.

Trent Johnson took the mound for the Red Devils and struck out the first two Wildcat batters he faced in a three up and down inning for the visitors.

The Red Devils scored three runs in the first inning as Austin Langworthy started off with a single. Haydn Cano followed with a perfectly laid bunt to advance Langworthy to third.

Cameron Coffey drove both runners home with a two run triple. Coffey then scored on a wild pitch, putting the Red Devils up 3-0 after one full inning.

Wildwood left one runner on base in the top of the second inning after he reached first base after being hit by a pitch.

The Red Devils' Tyler Moore started the bottom of the second inning with a lead off single.

Tre Hammonds singled, moving Moore to third base. Moore scored on a wild pitch and Hammonds moved to third. Langworthy walked on four straight pitches, stole second and third as Hammonds scored for the Red Devils. Langworthy scored when Noah Faircloth ripped a double.

After two complete innings the Red Devils held a convincing 6-0 lead.

Again Johnson overpowered the Wildcat hitters and kept them scoreless in the top of the third inning.

Red Devil Dalton Spikes got the bottom of the third inning started with a lead off single. Spikes scored on a two out single by Hammonds.

Hammonds scored when Mason Burton ripped another single for the Red Devils to push the lead to 8-0 after three complete innings of play.

The Wildcats could not find the ball at the plate as the big Red Devil right handed pitcher Johnson, sat them down in order in the top of the fourth inning.

The Red Devils exploded in the bottom of the fourth inning as Coach Hall cleared his bench, as the Red Devils scored seven runs off nine base hits to put the regional semi-final game out of reach for the hopeless Wildcats.

Faircloth started the inning with a double, Johnson walked, and John Paul picked up 2 RBIs as he ripped a triple putting the Red Devils up 10-0. Ricky Vanesco, Denver Ripley, Britton Hall, Mason Burton, and Shae Rees all collected base hits as they made their way to the plate in the bottom of the fourth inning.

When the dust cleared the Red Devils were up 15-0 and just three outs away from advancing to the Regional Championship game.

With a Wildcat runner on first base, Red Devil John Paul playing first base, caught a sharply hit ball and then stepped on first base forcing the runner out for the double play to end the game on the Mercy Rule.

The Red Devils played Tuesday night.

Details will be in next week's Williston Pioneer.