Red Devils take 20-19 Fall Classic win

-A A +A
By Steve Jarboe

It wasn't their best game, and several players played with nicks and dings, but the heart of the 2012 Williston Red Devil football team members showed through Aug. 24 as they traveled to Fernandina Beach.
It was a first quarter that saw both the Red Devils and Pirates unable to get their offenses moving.
The first quarter ended in a 0-0 tie.
The Red Devils began to click midway through the second quarter as quarterback David Heinkel hit Damien Strange with a 62-yard touchdown pass.
Strange had slipped by the Pirates defender and Heinkel dropped the pass right in his hands.
Jorge Deciderio kicked the PAT and the Red Devils were up 7-0.
The Pirates began a drive of their own before Strange grabbed the interception and returned the ball to the 50 yard line.
Two plays later the Red Devils fumbled and the Pirates recovered at their own 45-yard line.
As time ran down in the second quarter the Pirates scored on a 30-yard running play.
The kick was good and the teams went to half time tied at 7-7.
The Red Devils, after losing running back Tad Donald to a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit that sidelined him with a concussion, had to make some half time adjustments.
The Red Devils moved Stephen Cochlin to quarterback and Heinkel to running back, mixing up their backfield.
Taking the second half kick off, the Red Devils’ heart came full force.
Heinkel blasted up the middle for 15 yards. Keith Neal then carried the ball for 20 yards carring half the Pirates defense on his back for the last 10 yards.
Heinkel stepped back into the quarterback slot and hit Tyus Williams over the middle for a 22-yard touchdown pass.
The Deciderio PAT was good and the Red Devils were up 14-7.
On the ensuing kick off, Deciderio lifted the ball and short to the Pirates 30-yard line where the Red Devils picked the live ball up and returned it to the Pirates 20-yard line.
Neal blasted down to the Pirates 9-yard line.
On the next play Heinkel again hit Strange with a 9- yard touchdown pass.
The PAT was wide left as the Red Devils had a 20-7 lead.
The Red Devils again with just 18 players dressed for the game, many who played both ways on the hot humid night, gave up a deep pass for the Pirates’ second touchdown.
Again the heart of these Red Devil players came out as Heinkel blasted through the defense, laid out and blocked the PAT, holding the score to 20-13.
The Pirates scored again on a running play early in the fourth quarter.
Rushing the PAT attempt, it fell well short as the Red Devils held on to a 20-19 lead.
The Red Devil defense, again made a stand late in the game as Shykel Rambert  intercepted the Pirates for the Red Devils fourth take away of the night. Taking over with just 2:15 left in the game the Red Devils ran out the clock to hold onto the victory.It was a brilliant effort by a group of young men who stayed the course and made the plays when they had to.They Red Devils will have to regroup, and nurse some nagging injuries, as they travel to PK Yonge on Friday Aug. 31, to begin their regular season play.