Late comeback falls short for Red Devils

-A A +A
By Steve Jarboe

Despite a valiant fourth quarter effort, the Williston Red Devils came up short Friday 34-30 playing on the road against the West Nassau Warriors.

The Warriors scored the game’s opening touchdown late in the first quarter. Red Devil David Heinkel blocked the PAT as the Warriors took a 6-0 lead into the second quarter.

On the second play of the second quarter the Warriors scored again on a seven yard run. This time the PAT was good and the Warriors took a 13-0 lead. 

Following a three and out series, Heinkel pinned the Warriors deep with a booming 60-yard punt that left the Warriors at their 7-yard line. The Red Devils’ Warren Johnson sacked the Warriors in the end zone for a safety.

With the score now at 13-2, the Red Devils took the kick off and drove right to the Warriors 3-yard line. Heinkel took the ball in for the touchdown with just over three minutes left until halftime. 

Quarterback Stephen Cochlin found Damien Strange for the 2-point conversion and the score stood at 13-10. 

With time running out in the first half the Red Devils missed a long field goal attempt.

The Warriors took a 13-10 lead into the third quarter.

On their first drive of the third quarter, the Warriors scored a touchdown. The PAT made the score 20-10.

The Red Devils ended two drives with a fumble and a punt. The Warriors ended two drives with a punt.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, the Red Devils stripped the ball and recovered at the 50-yard line. They drove to the Warriors 10-yard line where the Warriors intercepted a pass and returned it 95 yards for a Warrior touchdown. With the PAT the Warriors were up 27-10.

The Red Devils seemed to regroup as Heinkel found Strange for a pass over the middle. Strange cut to the outside and with a crushing block by Cochlin, sprung  loose for a 90-yard touchdown. The two point try failed and the score was 27-16. 

Trying an onside kick, the Warriors were ready and returned in to the Red Devil 25-yard line. It appeared the Warriors sealed the game as they scored on a quick pass play to a wide open receiver. The PAT made the score 34-16 with just over five minutes remaining.

Down three scores the Red Devils moved the ball down the field as Heinkel connected on several passes. The Red Devils scored but the 2-point attempt failed making the score 34-22. 

This time the Red Devils recovered the onside kick off with 1:53 showing on the clock.

Strange took a pitch out and hit Cochlin in the end zone for a touchdown with just over a minute left in the game. Heinkel blew around left end for the 2-point conversion and the Red Devils had pulled the game to 34-30. Still on the short side of the score the Red Devils again tried the onside kick. 

The attempt failed and the Warriors took a couple of knees to run the clock out on the Red Devils. 

The 1-2 Red Devils will be at home for their home opener for the season tomorrow, Sept. 21, as they host the Newberry Panthers. Game time is 7:30 p.m.