- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Friends of the Williston Public Library
Calendar of Scheduled Events - 2008-2009
* Thursday, September 18, 6:30 p.m. IN THE LIBRARY - S.M. Wells, Highwayman artist, from Tennessee 6:30 p.m. in the library. A program of talk on the Highwaymen as he demonstrates his painting technique. The finished painting will be purchased by Friends and raffle tickets will be sold throughout the fall and winter and raffled at the Art Exhibition and sale at the Williston Woman's Club in May, 2009. This program will enable the viewer to watch an art piece created, as well as entertain and inform about the exploits of the group of artists known as the Highwaymen.
* Thursday, October 16, 7 p.m. IN THE LIBRARY - For Hispanic Heritage Month, The l group Centenario Musical Band performing Latin tunes and dances. This is a six-piece band with 2 vocalists, led by Evarisspo Delgado. This will be an unusual treat for all who come both for the newly heard sound and for the enjoyment of the Hispanic Peoples in the area.
* Thursday, October 23, 7 p.m. IN THE LIBRARY - Not an October Surprise for Friends 'Sikorsky' has been coming to Williston to appraise treasures and collectibles for several years and is always enjoyed. He is charming and tactful and it is a good idea to come early to get a low number for appraisal.
* Thursday, December 11, 6 p.m. IN THE LIBRARY - David Colburn, lecturer from Florida Humanities will give a talk called "From Yellow Dog Democrat to Red State Republican." We really wanted this program before the election but were unable to get it. These lecturers are so popular that we have to take what we can schedule. It should still be of interest regardless of how the big day in November turned out. Come, enjoy your victory or sob your tears.
* Saturday, December 13, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. IN THE LIBRARY all decorated and festooned for Christmas! The Christmas Open House and Baskets Auction. Goodies to eat, friends and Friends to greet and then at 3 p.m. the final bids for the bevy of beautiful baskets will be announced. The baskets will have been on display in the library since early November - and the bidding progressed on paper all during the month. The baskets will have been dedicated to Friends' donors either by money or a created basket of their own. If you wish to donate time, money or goodies for the refreshment table, please call Sylvia Owens, 528-0318 or Mary McDaniell at 528-5972. This is the happiest time of the year for Friends because everyone enjoys the event from start to finish and buyers of baskets get a unique Christmas gift for a loved one. Mark this one on your calendar; it is a lovely day!
* Thursday, February 19, 2009, 7 p.m., IN THE LIBRARY - Black History Month, Robert Glaser leads a band performing African Music. -
* Thursday, March 19, 7 p.m., IN THE LIBRARY - A Filipino Choir, based in Gainesville. Watch for particulars in the Pioneer closer to date. We continue to work for personalities for November and April.