- Special Sections
- Public Notices
On April 7, Williston Fire Rescue responded Northeast 85th Street in Raleigh to a reported grass fire. Upon arrival, firefighters reported a 3 to 4 acre pasture fire spreading rapidly.
Firefighter Lt. Shane Colman and Firefighter Daniel Smith immediately started extinguishing the grass fire.
Shortly after containing the fire and starting a second sweep to look for hot spots firefighter Smith noticed the landowner lying on the ground. Smith immediately notified Coleman and they found that he was not breathing had no pulse.
Fire units advised Levy County EMS and Williston's Fire Rescue unit that was already en route to the scene on the condition of the patient. Coleman and Smith started CPR along with a family member.
Upon arrival of Rescue 72, Firefighter Lake Raymond with the Fire Department's medical equipment assisted in connecting the AED (Automatic External Difibulator) and it was used to shock the patient. After the patient was shocked CPR was continued and the patient was reanalyzed and found to have a pulse but not breathing on his own.
Levy County EMS Medics arrived and provided advanced medical care and transported the patient to a hospital in Gainesville.
This story has a happy ending. With the permission of Thomas Days Jr. who spent 22 days in the hospital, we can report he is now home recovering and enjoying his family and friends. With the quick actions of the firefighters and EMS personnel, Days will get to enjoy the family's upcoming reunion in Jacksonville this July.
The AED the Fire Department used was donated to Williston Fire Rescue by the Williston Woman's Club. Days and his family would like to thank everyone who help in his medical care.
Danny Wallace is the public information officer for Williston Fire Rescue.