Devils boil Blue Wave 38-7

-A A +A

 By Bryan Hoopaugh


Last Friday night the seats of Booster Stadium filled with fans for the much anticipated and talked about opening game of the 2013 season. Williston’s varsity football team took the field with high expectations from fans and coaches after their impressive display at the pre-season classic in Brooksville the week prior.

The first quarter was a little slow going for the offense on the first two drives but the Devils were able to put a scoring drive together on their third possession with quarterback Steven Cochlin scoring on an 11- yard run around the left side. 

A celebration penalty pushed the point after attempt to the 20-yard line which Jorge Deciderio put through the uprights for a 7-0 lead.

Williston’s defense was relentless on the PK Yonge offense forcing two punts and one fumble which senior Devon Webb recovered at the blue Wave 20-yard line. This resulted in a Devil touchdown.

Williston’s next drive resulted in a TD set up by a pass to junior  Tad Donald for 20 yards. Webb then punched the ball in for the score putting Williston up 14-0. The Red Devil defense then created havoc for PK Yonge quarterback senior Joshua Gebhardt with senior David Higgins hitting him for a sack and a loss of 16 yards. After three plays the Blue Wave was looking at a fourth and 23 and forced to punt.

Deciderio put the next points on the board with a 32-yard field goal giving Williston a 17-0 lead  with 5:52 to go in the second quarter.

PK put together its only scoring drive late in the second quarter starting with a 39-yard kickoff return by senior Anthony Andrews. Three plays later Gebhardt sailed a ball over the head of his intended receiver who tipped the ball into the air right into the hands of Andrews who took it in for the 40 yard score with 4:11 left in the half.

Williston received to start the second half and senior Tay Hammonds started off with a bang scampering through the kick off team for a 40- yard return setting the offense up at the PK Yonge 48-yard line. Webb then put six more on the board with a 16-yard TD run and with the point after gave Williston a commanding 24-7 lead.

Webb then had a 45-yard punt return which set up a scoring drive capped off with a 4-yard dive by Donald and Williston stretched its lead to 24 points at the end of the third.

The defense continued to keep the Blue Wave’s backfield on their heels and out of the end zone the remainder of the game. Williston scored their final points with 7:40 left in the game off a spectacular 70 yard dash by senior Keith Neal and with Deciderio’s extra point gave Williston the win with a final score of 38-7.

Williston’s defense held PK Yongeto just 86 passing yards and -27 yard rushing for a total of 59 offensive yards.

The Red Devils will hit the gridiron next week battling Taylor County at home Friday night at 7:30. Taylor County will enter the game with a record of 0-2 having lost to Leon County 34-29 and Dixie County 22-7. In spite of the 0-2 start ,Williston Head Coach Jamie Baker said, “This will be a better test of what we have to play later in the season and this will be our hardest opponent yet.”